Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Homemade Baby Food

It's about that time for Parker to start eating baby food!  The doctors told us to wait until 5 1/2 or 6 months with Parker because they are thinking he is going to have some food allergies and trouble with gas.  After the re-lactation process, I figured the more natural we can go with feeding Parker the better it's probably going to turn out for us.  So I've decided to make Parker's baby food!  It's actually been a fun, and rewarding process as it is also ALOT cheaper!  So far, with under $10 of vegetables and fruits I have made 60+ servings(ice cubes) of food, and I still have 2 apples and 4 sweet potatoes left to make baby food out of .  The cheapest I have been able to find baby food is 56 cents a jar and at that rate I've made 60 x .56 = 33.60 minus the $10 I spent on food I'm saving over 23 dollars on my first try!  

It's also a pretty simple process!  

So far we've made carrots, bananas, yellow squash, and pears.  Parker has had the bananas, pears and carrots and has liked them all and he seems to do better eating them then he did with the store bought food we bought before.  

Here's all you have to do:

Wash the fruit/vegetable off good.  Peel the vegetable/fruit, if necessary core it as well.  Then chop or slice the item boil or steam it and put it in the food processor and add water until it gets to the right consistency.  With bananas you can just put them straight in the food processor they of course don't need to be boiled/steamed.  I didn't add enough water to the bananas the first time so put a little extra water in your bananas.  But they still worked out okay we put them in a fruit net for Parker to suck on like a popsicle and he love it and Adam ate a few himself and enjoyed them haha.

After you boil them pour them into an ice tray.  Make sure the tray is BPA free, I was going to just go to the dollar store and use a cheap plastic tray myself but I read up about it and there are chemicals that can freeze into the baby food so make sure you get one that says BPA free on it.  I am using the munchkin green trays from Walmart I WOULDN'T recommend these one of the two I have has already cracked and the cubes are difficult to get out after they freeze.  Then after they freeze take them out and store in ziploc bags.  I separate them and put a piece of masking tape with date I made them.



Leave them in the freezer and when you are ready take out one cube at a time and put it in a microwavable dish and microwave for 20-30 seconds and it will be ready to eat!  Just check the temperature first somethings take longer than others defrost.

Carrots
Too thick Bananas (Banana Popsicles they turned into)



Yellow Squash






No comments:

Post a Comment